All About Ney
- Mission Statement: We will ensure learning for all children through quality instruction in a safe and healthy environment.
- Motto: Children First
- Mascot: Knights
- School Colors: Blue & Gold
- Click here to see: Map to Ney
Back to the Past . . .
Websites about Elisabet Ney the Sculptor
Elisabet Ney Museum
Elisabet Ney Elementary was the first school in Lake Jackson. The Pioneers of Lake Jackson refer to this school as the "Little School That Grew and Grew!"
The original wood structure was built in 1942 and consisted of 6 classrooms. It faced the circular driveway on Yaupon Street that still exists today. The original structure was outgrown very quickly and soon classes had to be held in nearby homes and churches. Students brought their lunch or went home for lunch.
As population continued to grow, the first brick building was constructed on Winding Way in 1951 for grades K-2. It was called the Lake Jackson Primary School and had 12 classrooms and a cafeteria. Classes were still being held in the original wood structure as well.
In 1956 and '57, eight third grade sections had to meet in the First Methodist Church while A.P. Beutel was being built. After Beutel was completed, classes continued in the original 6 rooms and the "new" brick building.
In 1961, the Lake Jackson Primary School was officially named Elisabet Ney Elementary after the famous Texas sculptress.
In 1965, the original wooden structure was torn down and a two-story addition was completed to house grades K-5. In 1981, six temporary classrooms were moved onto the campus to house all 5th grade sections.
The Second Grade wing was added in 1989. The 5th graders were then moved to Grady Rasco Middle School in 1995. A complete renovation was finished in 1997.
As a result of the bond issue in 2002, there have been many renovations made to Elisabet Ney Elementary School in order to improve the quality of education for our students. The primary focus has been a new cafeteria/auditorium. We are now a "cooking kitchen" with two serving lines. There are new tables with individual seating for the students, and a very nice stage, curtain and sound system.
In addition to our new cafeteria/auditorium, there are several new classrooms, restrooms, etc., as well as a circular drive approaching this new wing. The "old" cafeteria has been converted into a large PE room with the kitchen area turned into storage space. Also, a wheel chair lift to the second floor has been added.
Throughout the school there have been modifications, including new restroom updates and carpeting for the classrooms. The work is still "in progress" but the faculty and staff are very excited about their new teaching environment and additional space.
Today the "Little School" has grown into a 40 classroom campus with over 38 teachers plus aides. In addition, Ney has two music rooms, a physical education room, library, cafeteria, computer lab, teacher workroom, and extra rooms for special programs.
Elisabet Ney has stood for excellence under the leadership of six principals: Mrs. Irene Jones, Mr. Grady Rasco, Mrs. Madge Griffith, Mr. Allen Lea, Mrs. Mary Randazzo, Mr. Randy Wuensche and Mrs. Vicky Parr. Elisabet Ney has always prided itself in working together as a "family" and putting "children first"!